Monday, July 25, 2011

CSA - Week 8

Corn is here! And I have never had more delicious corn on the cob in my entire life. I'm a boiler. I decided to try grilling corn this year, but it always storms when I have fresh corn and I'd rather eat it fresh! I also found out through some Googling that I boil my corn way longer than the average bear. It's a solid 17 minutes or so. The corn from Earthen Harvest was just so creamy and perfect!

Corn on the Cob - just over 5 pounds (6 ears)
Red Potatoes - 2 pounds
Cabbage - 5 1/2 pound head
Kohlrabi - almost a pound
Collards - just under a pound

I gave all of the kohlrabi to my mom since I kept it all last time we got it. I sauteed some leftover CSA yellow scallions along with a clove of minced garlic in olive oil and added the collards once those were soft. That was a great simple side dish (a go-to for greens you don't have other plans for) along side my red potato baked "fries," corn on the cob, and a veggie burger. I cut the corn off of the cob for my bigger mini and she wanted more, more, more!

I used the following recipe for the cabbage and I really enjoyed it! Again, big mini was a fan. She likes coleslaw, so she lovingly referred to this recipe as "a different kind of coleslaw." Hey, if it gets her to eat it, I'm cool with that.


white beans and cabbage

Servings: 4-6 Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes

Adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson

ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces potatoes, scrubbed and cut into tiny cubes
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
1/2 onion, minced
One 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups (8 ounces) very finely shredded green cabbage
fine-grain sea salt

directions:

1. Pour the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the potatoes and spread them evenly in the pan. Cook the potatoes for 5 minutes or so, make sure you scrape and toss the potatoes during cooking so that you can get each side browned and cooked through.

2. Add in the fresh thyme, onion and the white beans and spread all around the skillet. Let cook, undisturbed for 2 minutes to brown just a bit, then scrape and toss again. Cook until the beans are nicely browned on both sides.

3. Stir in the cabbage and cook for another minute. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir and toss again. Once the cabbage has wilted down, the dish is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment